Upset over being scolded by her sister, a 14-year-old girl consumed pesticide at Chintakani village and subsequently died at the district headquarters hospital here on Wednesday night.

According to police sources, V. Swathi, a ninth class student, consumed pesticide after being chided by her elder sister, a school dropout, over the issue of accompanying her to the agriculture field. When Swathi was getting ready to go to school in the morning, her sister allegedly picked up an argument with her and insisted that she should join them in the farm work.

Annoyed over the incident, Swathi proceeded to their agriculture field instead of school and consumed the poison. She returned home and fell unconscious in the afternoon. Her parents immediately rushed her to the government civil hospital in Khammam. However, she died while being treated at the hospital late in the night, sources said.

Chintakani police registered a case.