Says his intention is to bring facts to public domain
Minister says he never talked of favouritism in plot allotment
NEW DELHI: Union Minister for Science and Technology Kapil Sibal on Monday disagreed that "draw of lots" was conducted in allotting plots in Noida and said that by placing "facts in public domain" he had attacked the Uttar Pradesh Government.
The Minister said he never talked of any favouritism in the allotment of plots but levelled allegations against the Mulayam Singh Government and Noida authority. Mr. Sibal was responding to the reaction of the former Chief Justice of India, Y.K. Sabharwal, following the Minister's comment on Sunday that Mr. Sabharwal's daughter was one of those who had been allotted a plot.
Disputing the draw of lots theory, Mr. Sibal said if that was so, how could it be possible for seven members of one group of industries, who had given the same address, four law officers of Uttar Pradesh and MPs, MLAs of the Samajwadi Party got the plots. While maintaining that he was not joining issue with anyone, the Minister said if the allotment of plots was through draw of lots, then it could be coincidence.
"Consider issue closed"
Mr. Sibal said that he wanted that the matter be treated as closed, and the intention was to bring facts to the public domain. Drawing attention to another issue, the Minister alleged that foodgrains meant for beneficiaries under the Sampoorn Gramin Rojgar Yojna had been diverted by the U.P. Government to Nepal and Bangladesh.
He said magistrates in 30 districts had written to the State Government.
A report of an inquiry in 2004 found misappropriation of foodgrains in Gonda district. The Chief Minister had recommended to the Centre that the case be probed by the CBI but later withdrew it. Mr. Sibal said other than Gonda, there was no inquiry in any other district.