Twenty-one people, including four women and an infant, were caught in an elevator that malfunctioned at a shopping mall on Krishnasamy Road on Friday evening. According to the Fire and Rescue Services personnel and the police, the incident happened because of overloading.
The capacity of the elevator was to hold only 20. As it began going down from the third to the ground floor with the alarm buzzing, it got caught between the second and the first floor because of power failure.
The pulley that moves the strings attached to the elevator moved away.