Special Correspondent

JAIPUR: A five-member committee appointed by the Rajasthan Government to look into revision of pay scales for university and college teachers on Thursday recommended implementation of the revised scales suggested by the University Grants Commission (UGC) for assistant professors, associate professors and professors.

The committee’s chairperson, Principal Medical Education Secretary L. P. Kothari, submitted its report to Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot here. Mr. Kothari said the committee had studied the guidelines of the UGC and the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR) as well as the present salary structure before reaching its conclusions.

The committee recommended that the lecturers in colleges be given the pay scales of assistant professor and associate professor along with the designation.

The college principals should be given the pay scale of professor along with the grade pay of Rs.10,000. The grade pay of Rs.9,500 has been fixed for the college vice-principals.

According to an official release here, the committee suggested that the pay scales of all teachers falling under the third and fourth pay bands fixed by the Sixth Pay Commission be revised in keeping with the State Government’s formula.

The revised pay scales are to be implemented with retrospective effect from January 1, 2006.

While 40 per cent of the arrears will be paid during the current financial year and the remaining 60 per cent after the UGC notifies its regulations and the universities amend their statutes accordingly.

Sharing of burden

The committee’s report stated that 80 per cent of the financial burden for the period from January 1, 2006, to March 31, 2010, would be borne by the Union Government and 20 per cent by the State Government and the universities concerned.

The payment of arrears will lead to an additional financial burden of Rs.130 crore on the State Government and Rs.520 crore on the UGC. The payment of revised salaries from 2010-11 will cause an additional burden of Rs.200 crore every year on the State Government and universities.

The release said the revised pay structure would also be applicable to the librarians and physical training instructors working in universities and colleges affiliated to them.

State Higher Education Minister Jitendra Singh and committee’s members Tapesh Pawar, Khemchand, Aditya Pareek and R. C. Gupta were present on the occasion.