The Council of Indian Muslims (U.K.) on Wednesday expressed concern at the Charminar/temple row, calling it part of a “systematic” campaign to “appropriate” Muslim monuments.

“The Babri Mosque was the first casualty of this campaign. It was pulled down in full media gaze and now a similar drama is unfolding at Charminar in Hyderabad,” it said in a statement on the eve of the 20th anniversary of the demolition of the Babri Masjid.

Munaf Zeena, general secretary, said “hundreds” of historic mosques had been declared protected monuments “barring Muslims from praying in them… Attempts to deface Muslim monuments and occupy the land belonging to Waqf properties is a serious issue that serves as a constant reminder of the ongoing discrimination against and denial of justice to the community. This is a matter of principle and everyone who believes in coexistence and plurality of the Indian society must stand against it.”