Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam Gangmei, also in charge of the Home portfolio, has condemned the grenade explosion on Thursday night at Tourangbam Leikai near here. Two migrant workers were killed and four others seriously injured in the blast.
In another incident, a grenade exploded near the house of junior engineer Bipin N. at Khagempalli near here on Thursday night. There was no casualty. Women staged sit-in protests at various places and condemned the blasts.
Soon after question hour on Friday, Mr. Gangmei informed the House that some unidentified miscreants, suspected to be militants, lobbed a China-made hand grenade into a room where migrant workers were staying.
Six persons were inside the room when the grenade exploded. The injured were rushed to a hospital where two workers from Bihar — Rohit Kumar Das and Rajan Mahato — later died. Three of the injured are battling for life at a private hospital.
Mr. Gangmei said security measures had been beefed up in and around the city. Sources said the government was actively considering opening relief camps in the city for workers staying on the outskirts. This, however, in the past has not worked. Being daily wage earners, they could not remain holed up in the camps for days. The food supplied was also poor, forcing the workers to have food from outside.
Some insurgents had served quit notices to the migrant workers and set a deadline. House owners were asked not to rent out rooms to them.
Police are clueless on which group is responsible for the blast. No insurgent outfit has claimed responsibility yet.
Government is considering opening relief camps Incident has triggered panic, many have fled
Government is considering opening relief camps
Incident has triggered panic, many have fled