K. V. Subramanya

He was identified on his way to station

Two others were also secured in Chennai Police team for ThanjavurRehman taken to Hyderabad

BANGALORE: The Karnataka police, who questioned Basheer Khan Mysoori (46) in Chennai, brought him here on Thursday evening for further interrogation in connection with the shooting incident at the Indian Institute of Science in the city.

Two other persons who were secured in Chennai were also brought here.

Police Commissioner Ajai Kumar Singh maintained that no one was arrested in Chennai. However, Mysoori would be "formally arrested after formalities were completed," highly placed sources in the police told The Hindu.

The sources said Mysoori was a preacher and native of the communally sensitive Bhatkal town in Uttara Kannada district. At present he was staying in Bangalore.

His role in the December 28, 2005 attack on the IISc campus was yet to be ascertained but the police found that he had "contacts" with Abdul Rehman, a suspected Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) operative, who was arrested from Nalgonda in Andhra Pradesh, the sources said.

There were some "loose ends" in Mysoori's statements.

Meanwhile, a police team led by a Deputy Commissioner took Rehman to Hyderabad for corroboration of the information he gave, the sources said. According to the Police Commissioner, Rehman has revealed some information on the LeT's activities.

Another team had gone to Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu, the sources said.

No lead yet

Four others, two each from Kolar and Mysore districts, who were secured for questioning, provided some vital information. But the investigations so far did not provide any lead for the police to zero in on the man who carried out the attack on the IISc campus, the sources said.

K.T. Sangameswaran and P. Oppili report: In Chennai, Mysoori, who was identified near the Central railway station on his way to board a train to Bangalore on Wednesday, was taken to the Chintadripet police station. A joint police team from Tamil Nadu and Karnataka interrogated him till Thursday afternoon.

Senior Tamil Nadu police officials said Mysoori was a school dropout and he eked out a living ''by giving religious discourses and selling religious literature." In Bangalore he ran an organisation, Islamic Peace Foundation, in support of his cause. He had come to Chennai a couple of times for printing religious books.

The police did not allow journalists to photograph Mysoori. On Thursday afternoon, he was taken to the Vepery police station and from there transferred to a Karnataka vehicle.

Vigil stepped up

Tamil Nadu officers said the activities of fundamentalist groups in the State came down drastically following the arrest of nearly 200 persons in connection with the Coimbatore serial blasts and related incidents. Several measures were taken to put down fundamentalism. After the killing of a scientist on the IISc campus, vigil was stepped up in Tamil Nadu and all checkposts were put on alert.

There was information that Rehman told the police that he had launched a trust in Chennai to spread religious ideology.