Staff Reporter

Mohammad Rizwan Dawrey organised finances for executing plan

  • A Pune resident, Dawrey is now suspected to be in Saudi Arabia
  • Total hawala money estimated to be between Rs. 20 lakh and Rs. 25 lakh

    MUMBAI: Interpol has issued a Red Corner notice against Mohammad Rizwan Dawrey, one of the 15 wanted suspects in the Mumbai train blasts case, K.P. Raghuvanshi, chief of Anti-Terrorist Squad of the Mumbai Police, confirmed.

    Dawrey allegedly organised finances for the execution of the plan to cause seven explosions on July 11, 2006 in local trains in Mumbai that killed over 200 people and injured more than 700.

    "The police suspect that Dawrey, a Pune resident, is now based in Saudi Arabia," Mr. Raghuvanshi said.

    Hawala transactions

    In the chargesheet, which was filed late last year, Dawrey has been mentioned as a financier for terrorist activities.

    The chargesheet says that since November 2003 Dawrey sent money through hawala transactions to one Khalida Iqbal Shaikh, which was then given to accused Muzammil Shaikh.

    The money was used to send others to Pakistan for training and other purposes for achieving the larger goal of conspiracy as well as for facilitating the escape of those who participated in the bombing operation. Mr. Raghuvanshi told The Hindu , "We have proposed a Red Corner notice for several of the July blasts suspects and this is the first one to be issued.

    The total amount of hawala money, which was used for terrorist activities, is not known but it could be to the tune of Rs. 20-25 lakh. We have recovered 25,000 riyals in our search operations."

    When asked about Dawrey's whereabouts and possibility of his arrest, he said, "Once a Red Corner notice is issued, it alerts others but it cannot be said as to how much time it will take. Bringing Salem back took years."

    Picture on website

    The Interpol website has posted a picture of Dawrey, 33, and lists his offences as counterfeiting/ forgery, terrorism.

    In the July case, 15 men from Pakistan and India are wanted. At present 13 accused are in custody and charges are yet to be framed in the case. The police submitted a 10,000-page charge sheet on November 30, 2006 and some additional material earlier this month.

    The accused confessed and later retracted the confessions.