A man died and four of his family members were injured when fire broke out in their house at Ambedkar Nagar in Holenarsipur on Friday.

According to Holenarsipur Town police, Murthy (50) died in Hassan Institute of Medical Sciences, while his wife Lakshmamma (41), daughter Rakshita (18), and sons Harishith (20) and Ravikumar (16) were injured.

The police said that LPG cylinder had perhaps leaked and without realising it, Murthy lit a beedi at around 3 a.m. immediately after which he was engulfed in flames, and the four other members of his family also suffered burn injuries. The neighbours rushed to their help after they heard the victims scream for help. They quickly shifted all the five members of the family to HIMS. But Murthy succumbed to burns in the afternoon.