LAGOS: The Nigerian man cut off contact with his relatives and disappeared from their lives until they awoke to news of the attempted Christmas Day attack, said his family on Monday.

Abdulmutallab’s father talked to Nigerian security agencies two months ago and a month later to foreign security agencies about his concerns that his son had disappeared and ceased contact with the family, the family said. U.S. authorities said that in November, Abdulmutallab’s father visited the U.S. embassy in Abuja, Nigeria, to discuss his concerns about his son’s religious beliefs. Abdulmutallab told U.S. officials who arrested him on the Detroit-bound airliner that he had sought extremist training at an Islamist hotbed in Yemen.The family said the father had gone to authorities to ask them to bring his 23-year-old son home. “We provided them with all the information required of us to enable them do this,” said the family statement, without elaborating. Adding another piece to the puzzle of what Abdulmutallab had been doing over recent months, a university campus in Dubai said the young man had been attending the school from January through the middle of this year.

The University of Wollongong AP on Monday that Abdulmutallab took classes for “about seven months” and is no longer a student at the branch of an Australian public university.

Abdulmutallab is being held in Michigan after suffering burns in the botched bombing. U.S. authorities have said he claimed to be carrying out an attack on orders from Al-Qaeda.

“From very early childhood, Farouk, to the best of parental monitoring, had never shown any attitude, conduct or association that would give concern,” the family’s statement read. — AP