A man was feared dead from a shark attack on Saturday after going missing while spear-fishing off the South Australia coast. Police said the 28-year-old from Adelaide disappeared in the water off Goldsmith Beach.

Locals said there had been reports of a great white shark in the area in the past week and authorities hold little hope of finding him alive.

The incident comes a week after thousands of people rallied across the country against a controversial shark culling policy in Western Australia. It was given the green light last month after six fatal attacks in the past two years.

It is not in effect in South Australia where the latest attack took place.

— AFP