Hasan Suroor

LONDON: News of the World, a leading British tabloid which thrives on reporting embarrassing stories about the royal family and other high-profile celebrities, was itself facing embarrassment on Wednesday after its royal editor, Clive Goodman, was arrested in connection with allegations that he was involved in tapping conversations between Prince Charles and his wife Camilla Parker Bowles.

Mr. Goodman (50) and two other men were arrested following a seven-month long police investigation into complaints of phone-tapping by staff at Clarence House, Prince Charles's official residence in London.

Sting operation?

According to BBC, the initial complaints were from Prince Charles's communication secretary and two staff members who dealt with Princes William and Harry.

There was no official comment from News of the World and it was not known whether Mr. Goodman was acting on his own or the newspaper was aware of his activities. Media analysts said the motive might have been a "sting'' operation involving the royal family.

NOW, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch and part of The Times stable, has previously run sensational stories based on secret conversations of the royal household, including the late Princess Diana. Police said they believed public figures "beyond the royal household'' may have had their telephones intercepted. Phones at other royal residences, including Buckingham Palace, may also have been bugged.