B. Muralidhar Reddy
COLOMBO: At least three soldiers and 12 LTTE cadres were killed in continuing battles in the north and east on Friday.
As per the Defence Ministry, the LTTE launched an attack at the military Forward Defence Line (FDL) in Mannar early Friday. An Army detachment at Neelachchena came under mortar attack and security forces retaliated.
The Media Centre for National Security (MCNS) said three soldiers were killed and four were wounded. “By intercepting the LTTE communication, it is revealed that at least nine LTTE cadres were killed and more than 20 received injuries due to the effective retaliation launched by army troops.”
TamilNet claimed that the LTTE launched a pre-dawn raid on Friday on an Army minicamp, killing 10 soldiers and seizing all the weapons from the camp, located near Uyilangkulam entry/exit point.
The military said two sets of launching barrels had been found from Omanugala general area earlier. “With this discovery SL troops have obtained the complete system of the 12 barrel MBRL [multi-barrel rocket launching] system that had been once used by the LTTE terrorists against civilians and security forces’ personnel in the East. Earlier, on Wednesday troops found the complete mounting and with four-piece launching barrels that had been dumped in the same area.”