Kabul: Afghan President Hamid Karzai ordered an investigation on Monday into a NATO airstrike that, according to his office, killed 10 civilians — including eight school students — in eastern Afghanistan.
The civilians were killed in the airstrike on Sunday morning in Narang district of eastern province of Kunar, the presidential palace said in a statement.
Mr. Karzai “strongly condemned the attack”, adding that he sent a delegation, which included MPs, to the area to investigate the incident.
Villagers told local media that the air raid killed eight civilians, all members of the same family, but Kunar’s provincial governor, Sayed Fazelullah Wahidi had earlier said, “according to our initial information all the dead people were militants”.
He had said the air operation left 11 militants, including one of their commanders dead.
NATO military in Kabul said they were looking into the incident, but declined to comment.
The Afghan Parliament also sent a delegation
Monday to investigate the bombing, spokesman Haseeb Noori said. — DPA