SEARCH

Third Japanese dies after Guam attack

AFP
print   ·   T  T  
Witnesses comfort each other in in Tumon, Guam on Tuesday.PHOTO:AP
Witnesses comfort each other in in Tumon, Guam on Tuesday.PHOTO:AP

The death toll from a frenzied attack on Japanese tourists in the Pacific nation of Guam rose to three on Thursday when a man mowed down by the killer's car succumbed to his injuries, officials said.

The attack happened late on Tuesday when a local man drove his car up a pavement near a resort, injuring six, then went on a stabbing rampage after crashing into a convenience store, wounding another eight.

All 14 victims, including an eight-month-old baby and a three-year-old toddler, were Japanese.

The Guam Memorial Hospital said the third person to die was a 51-year-old man but refused to give further details, saying next of kin in Japan were still being notified.

Two women, named in court documents as 81-year-old Kazuko Uehara and Rie Sugiyama, 29, were stabbed to death in the attack, which has stunned the normally sleepy tropical tourist destination.

The hospital said six people were discharged on Thursday and one had been transferred to Japan. Local man Chad Ryan Desoto, 21, was charged over the attack on Wednesday.

Prosecutors allege that after he was arrested Desoto admitted to police that he was intent on using both his car and his knife to hurt as many people as possible. Desoto's motive for the attack remains unknown.AFP

ns/mp/pj


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in IN SCHOOL

Kallis, Pollard opt for respective IPL teams in CLT20

CLT20: Kallis, Pollard opt for respective IPL teams

All the players named by more than two teams for the Champion... »