Pakistan on Tuesday criticised Bangladesh’s decision to abandon a planned cricket tour over security fears and threatened to bar its own players from playing in a Bangladeshi league.
On Monday Bangladesh shelved what would have been the first international cricket tour of Pakistan since militants wounded members of the Sri Lankan team in 2009. Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Nazmul Hassan said the decision had been taken over fears for players’ safety, following protests by Bangladeshis and a Facebook campaign against the tour. But Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Zaka Ashraf told that the decision was “inappropriate”. “…We never forced Bangladesh, but to say that the security situation was not conducive is inappropriate because their own delegation was satisfied with the arrangements,” he said.
Ashraf said the Pakistani government had promised top-level security. “We had promised the best security arrangements and were hosting matches in Lahore, which is very safe…” said Ashraf. The PCB warned that it may now bar Pakistani players from the second edition of the Bangladesh Premier League, starting January 17. In 2012, 20 Pakistanis featured in the tournament, with all-rounder Shahid Afridi fetching $700,000 in an auction of stars. More than 50 Pakistanis have already been bought at an auction for the second edition of the tournament.AFP