With the deadline for switching over to digitisation in four metros ending on Wednesday, the government said that exclusive teams have been set up to verify the progress made so far. It also refuted claims that there were inaccuracies in the transition figures and that only 40% of cable TV homes had opted for digitisation.
“Our data is purely based on the Census figures and the Government is transparent on the issue because digitisation process is a win—win situation for everyone,” officials in the I&B Ministry underlined.
Multi—system operators (MSOs) too would not provide inaccurate data as they are registered ones and face the possibility of losing their license for doing so, they said, adding only 12 per cent of cable TV homes are left for digitisation.
“We are very confident the data provided by them is correct data. This is a digital data. If you have installed a set top box , then it will also be reflected in the subscriber management system (SMS),” they said.
It said teams comprising technical professionals from Prasar Bharati and Broadcast Engineering Consultants of India have been constituted to visit the MSOs in the four metros.
“They are exclusive teams comprising technical experts to visit MSOs in the four metros to cross check and see their preparedness for switchover and also to see that the data provided by them is accurate and credible,” said officials.PTI