SEARCH

Nadal pulls out of Brazil Open

AFP
print   ·   T  T  
Knee overuseis the reason Nadal cited to pull out of the doubles competition. He, however, intends to play the singles event.Photo: afp
Knee overuseis the reason Nadal cited to pull out of the doubles competition. He, however, intends to play the singles event.Photo: afp

Rafael Nadal will not play his scheduled doubles match at the Brazil Open on Wednesday because of “knee overuse,” organizers said.

But they said the Spanish star intends to play his opening singles match on Thursday against Brazilian Joao Souza.

World number five Nadal had been scheduled to team up with Argentina’s David Nalbandian in a second-round encounter against Argentine Horacio Zeballos and Oliver Marach of Austria.

Former world number one Nadal only returned to the tour in Chile last week, where he lost in the final, after a seven-month injury absence.

“Nadal thought it was preferable to stay in his hotel and prepare for his singles match tomorrow,” a Brazil Open spokesman said.

“He discussed the issue with Nalbandian and the two agreed not to play the doubles. It was a joint decision.”

Nalbandian told reporters the conditions were “very difficult.”

“The court is not in the best condition and the ball is very difficult to control,” he added.

“It’s too bad I cannot play the doubles after the match Rafa and I had (yesterday)... But he has to take care of himself and prepare for a long and hard year.”

Nalbandian and Nadal won a hard-fought match 6-3, 3-6, 11-9 against Spaniards Pablo Andujar and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez on the court here late Tuesday.

Nadal complained at a press conference Tuesday about having to play so many hard court events.AFP


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in IN SCHOOL

Indian team leaves for blind cricket World Cup

Sports Minister Sarabananda Sonowal felicitated the Indian men’s blind cricket team, which left from here Monday night to South Africa to... »