Archive Subscriptions RSS Feeds Site Map Today's Paper ePaper Mobile Apps Social
SEARCH

Man behind anti-Muslim film gets a year in prison

PTI
Share  ·   print   ·  

The man behind an anti-Muslim film that sparked deadly violence across the world has been sentenced to a year behind bars after he admitted to violating the terms of his release from an earlier conviction.

Mark Basseley Youssef admitted to four violations, including lying to his probation officer and using bogus names.

In exchange, prosecutors dropped four other counts, including allegations that Youssef lied in saying that his role in the film’s production was limited to writing the script, The Los Anegeles Times said. Youssef was under a type of federal probation - known as supervised release - after being convicted in 2010 of bank and credit-card fraud, in which he was accused of causing USD 800,000 in losses.

Through an attorney, Youssef, who previously changed his name from Nakoula Basseley Nakoula and who also has gone by the name Sam Basile, asked that he be allowed to serve the sentence in home confinement.

However, Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Dugdale objected, saying the man’s record of fraud and deception made the violations particularly serious.PTI


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in IN SCHOOL

No Brazil move for Anelka – Mineiro

No Brazil move for Anelka – Atletico Mineiro

Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro said on Tuesday they have scrapped p... »