SEARCH

Chinese museum displays ‘evidence’ of Japan’s forced labour on anniversary

AFP
print   ·   T  T  

A Chinese museum marked the anniversary of the 1931 Mukden Incident on Wednesday by revealing documents it said will help a compensation claim against Tokyo over forced labour in World War II.

Japanese soldiers blew up a railway in Manchuria 82 years ago as a pretext to take control of the whole northeastern Chinese region, and while the Asian giants are major trading partners their political relationship remains soured by Japan’s brutal occupation before and during World War II.

The Museum of the War of Chinese People’s Resistance Against Japanese Aggression displayed more than 400 documents it said detailed how 40,000 Chinese were forced to work in Japan during the war.

Apologise

“We are going to file lawsuits to the Japanese government to make them admit what they did, apologise and give compensation to the relatives of victims,” deputy museum director Li Zongyuan said. Relatives of Chinese who were forced into labour have previously filed claims against Japanese corporations, and most of them have failed.AFP


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in IN SCHOOL

Captain’s knock helps South Africa win first ODI

De Villiers’ 89 secured South Africa a win by six wickets in the first ODI against New Zealand »