The team is attempting to become the first to cross the continent in winter
Veteran adventurer Sir Ranulph Fiennes sailed for the Antarctic on Monday, leading a team that attempts to become the first to cross the continent in winter. He has described the venture as a trip into the unknown with no chance of rescue.
A band played as Fiennes set sail from Cape Town, due to reach the coldest place on Earth later this month to start the over 3,200 km journey in March. So far the furthest winter venture into Antarctica has been only 96 km, in the early 20th century.
Hailed as one of the world's greatest living explorers, 68-year-old Fiennes said previous record-breaking expeditions had all been in the summer.
"We've been doing expeditions for a total of 40 years. We've broken a great number of world records. In Antarctica we've got two huge records, one in 1979 and one in 1992, but they are all in summer," he said. In 1979, Fiennes crossed both poles and in 1992 he crossed the Antarctic unsupported.
The expedition's website is www.thecoldestjourney.org.AFP