HEALTH An hour of exercise and nutritious food choices will keep you in shape even on that long awaited vacation
Health is wealth, and that doesn’t change even when you’re on a holiday. Experts suggest eating healthy and being conscious that about one hour of exercise a day can help you stay in shape even while you have fun.
Delhi-based fitness expert and trainer Santosh Sharma shares a few tips to stay fit during a holiday:
* Avoid visiting a restaurant on an empty stomach. In such cases people end up eating much more than they normally would. If you’re starving, eat a piece of fruit or have a glass of juice or water in the hotel itself. This will help satiate some of your hunger and prevent overeating. Later, while having lunch, fill your plate with lightly dressed salads, fish, seafood and lean meats. Fish and meats are high in protein and iron.
* Don’t eat unhealthy snacks or junk food like pizzas and burgers while travelling. Otherwise, you will end up gaining extra kilos. Pack healthy items like fruits, juices and low-fat yoghurt.
* Don’t overeat. Order a salad as a starter and then either share the main course with your partner or go for selected delicacies that you like. Also, eat slowly and chew the food properly.
* If there’s a mini bar in your hotel room, then lock it and hide the key. Look for healthier alternatives such as local fresh fruits or salads. If you are abroad, then try out some local fruits which you don’t get here.
* Avoid local breads served with meals. Ask your fellow diners to keep the bread basket at the other side of the table or ask the waiter to remove it.
* A glass of wine or a bottle of beer with dinner is fine, but avoid too many drinks after the dinner as it may result in weight gain.
* If you happen to be at the beach, don’t end up indulging in lots of ice creams and sugary cold drinks to avoid scorching heat. Keep a bottle of water and some fruits in your bag so you don’t get tempted when you friends or family ask if you want any ice cream.
* Take out time and exercise for at least an hour daily even when you are out on a holiday. Nowadays hotels and resorts do have gymnasiums. Also, you don’t need to get up early morning to exercise. Do it when you feel like, but do it.