N estled among the lush green paddy fields in a village called Neyveli, a few kilometers from Poondy close to Chennai, are the remains of a long lost temple for Lord Siva. In 2004, two villagers happened to stumble upon the dilapidated remains of this shrine by accident.
The temple's walls were engulfed by a huge ‘Kallala' tree (a Banyan tree variety without the hanging roots). The Lord (Lingam) had been submerged under the soil only with the top portion (rudhra) being visible. With the help of the villagers, a group of devotees, led by Vadapalani Ramamoorthy, is trying to rebuild the lost glory of the temple that once existed here.
The temple is estimated to be over 1000 years old and the Lord's name is Agneeswarar.
There was also a pond with the name Agni Theertham near the temple, the existence of which was visible and which has now been recreated by the devotees.
The construction work of separate sannidhis for deities such as Siva, Lalithambika, Murugan and Vanadurgai is under way and other activities such as the erection of compound wall, approach road and that of desilting the temple tank are also being done.
A committee has been formed for the purpose and those interested in contributing towards the restoration can send their donations to Sri Agneeswar Aalaya Seva Committee, (s.b a/c no: 8029 1021 0000 019), Bank of India, West Mambalam Branch, Chennai – 31 or may contact – 99403 98648,94450 04908,98407 89096.