For those with right designs

print   ·   T  T  
Pick your choice: There are many options for graduates in civil engineering who would like to do a master's in architecture.
Pick your choice: There are many options for graduates in civil engineering who would like to do a master's in architecture.

There are many graduates in civil engineering who would like to do a master's in architecture. The School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi-110002, provides specialisation options for meritorious civil engineering graduates in its M.Arch. programme and related fields.

The school conducts the two-year M.Arch. programme with specialisation in architecture conservation, industrial design and urban design; Master of Building Engineering and Management (MBEM); Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA); and Master of Planning with specialisation in environment planning, housing, regional planning and transport planning.

The M.Arch. programmes are open to those with B.Arch. degrees, B.Planning or equivalent degrees. For M.Arch. in industrial design, students with B.Arch. or equivalent degrees are eligible.

The MBEM course is open to those with B.Arch., B.E./B.Tech. (civil) or equivalent degrees. For details visit

The Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee ( conducts M.Arch. in urban and rural planning. B.Arch. or Bachelor's degree holders in civil engineering are eligible for admission.

The Council of Architecture is a statutory regulatory body which deals with education in this field and any details regarding courses can be sought from it. The council is located at the Indian Habitat Centre, Lodhi Road, New Delhi-110003. Web address:

Alternative routes

The Indian Institute of Architects provides facilities for civil engineering graduates to appear for its membership examinations. They are exempted from appearing in some papers of the examinations.

The Institute of Town Planners conducts an associateship examination leading to the award of the associate membership of the institute.

Civil engineering or architecture graduates with a minimum of 55 per cent marks in the degree examination can appear for the test. For more details contact the Institute of Town Planners, India, 4A, Ring Road, IP Estate, New Delhi-110002.


Another suitable higher study option for engineering graduates is design. The IITs in Bombay, Delhi and Kanpur and IISc., Bangalore conduct the Master of Design (M.Des.) programmes. Qualifying in the Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED) is required for admission.

The National Institute of Design, Paldi, Ahmedabad-380007 provides opportunities for graduates in engineering and architecture to do a postgraduate diploma programme in design. For more details visit the website

M.Tech. in structural engineering is another suitable option for civil engineering graduates.

•The College of Engineering, Sreekariyam, Thiruvananthapuram, conducts M.Tech. (civil) course with specialisation in structural engineering.

•Mar Athanasius College of Engineering, Kothamangalam ( offers M.Tech. (Computer-aided structural engineering) on self-financing basis.

•The Cochin University of Science and Technology offers M.Tech. (Computer-aided structural analysis and design) and M.Tech. (Computer and Information Science). (

•National Institute of Technology (NIT) Calicut ( offers M.Tech. (civil engineering) with specialisation in structural engineering; traffic and transportation planning; offshore structures and environmental geo-technology and PG diploma in construction management.

•Delhi College of Engineering, Delhi, offers M.E. in structure engineering; environmental engineering; hydraulics and flood control engineering (

•Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani ( offers M.E. (civil) with specialisation in structural engineering and transportation engineering.

•IIT Roorkee ( conducts M.Tech in alternate hydro energy systems; conservation of rivers and lakes; M.Tech in building science and technology; computer-aided design; environmental engineering; geomatics engineering; geotechnical engineering; structural engineering; transportation engineering; soil dynamics; structural dynamics; M.Tech in hydrology; irrigation water management; water resources development.

•IIT Madras and IIT Kanpur conduct M.Tech. in civil engineering.

•Hindustan University, St. Thomas Mount, Chennai ( conducts M.E. in construction engineering and management, structural engineering, environmental engineering.

•Bharath University offers M.Tech. in construction and management, structural engineering, environmental engineering (

•Sastra University offers M.Tech. in construction engineering and management, disaster management, structural engineering (

•VIT University offers M.Tech. in structural engineering; energy and environmental engineering (

•National Institute of Foundry and Forge Technology, Hatia, Ranchi, conducts M.Tech. in environmental engineering (

•Manipal Institute of Technology conducts M.Tech. in structural engineering, construction engineering and management (www.admissions.manipal.


•Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar-608002 offers M.E. in environmental engineering, structural engineering, construction engineering and management, geo technical engineering; disaster management and engineering.




Recent Article in EDUCATION PLUS

The first step:Many things you need to know about a college can be learnt by browsing the Internet.Photo: Shreni Kashyeb

Make the right choice

Can you afford to be careless in choosing a college that almost decides your career? Here are some pointers. »