A soft corner for hardware

print   ·   T  T  
In demand: An expert assembling a computer. .
In demand: An expert assembling a computer. .

Having studied science for graduation, I want to enrol at the CFTRI in Mysore. Please give me information on the Master’s degree programme.

Amit Rai

via e-mail, Nagpur

Situated in the beautiful Cheluvamba Palace in Mysore, the Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI) ( came into existence in 1950.

Being a graduate you can take up the two-year, four-semester M.Sc Food Technology. The minimum qualification for applying to the course is a Bachelor’s degree in:

Science with Chemistry as one of the major subjects with 55 per cent in optional subjects of B.Sc. pass course (50 per cent for SC/ST category) / 50 per cent for B.Sc.(Hons.) course (45 per cent for SC/ST category)

Agriculture with minimum second class

Engineering/Technology with minimum second class

Mathematics at the Higher Secondary/PUC/+2 level is compulsory.

Admission is based on academic records of the qualifying degree exams and on the performance in the entrance examination that is conducted by CFTRI. You can contact the HRD Unit, CFTRI, Mysore-570 020 for any other information. Ph: 0821-2514310.

Agri-business management

I am studying in the University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore. On completion of the course I would like to join a correspondence course in agri-business management and related areas. Please provide information on this field.


via e-mail, Bangalore

Being an agricultural scientist, you should pursue Agri-business and related areas of study in the regular mode, for it will help you in your placement as well. The area of study has not yet developed through the distance mode. The following two programmes are conducted on campus and pursuing them would help you juxtapose the hardcore agricultural scientist in you with the dynamics of the business and the corporate world:

Post-Graduate Programme in Agri-Business Management (PGP-ABM) at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA) (

Post-Graduate programmes in Rural Management (PGDRM) and Development at the Institute of Rural Management (IRMA), Anand. Placements are good in both the institutes.

I have done my B.Sc (Physics, Chemistry and Computer Science) and I want to join a private institute and learn the finer aspects of computer hardware technology.

Rakesh Pande

via e-mail, Bangalore

Computer hardware engineers design, develop, test and assist in the manufacturing of computer components, products and systems. Indian Institute of Hardware Technology (IIHT) ( is India’s No.1 organisation in IMS training and it offers internationally certified training programme in Hardware, Networking, Security and Telecommunications. The certifications are industry oriented and conducted with state-of-the art training infrastructure and experienced faculty. To benefit from the IIHT, you should pursue the Advanced Computer Hardware and Networking Professional programme and gain the necessary insights.

Jetking ( Computer Hardware and Networking Institute conducts the popular Jetking Certified Hardware and Networking Professional (JCHNP) course which is divided into four modules.

The 13-month Jetking Certified Hardware and Networking Professional Premium gives 650 hours of in-depth knowledge to a student in Basic Electronics and Computer Applications, Computer Hardware and Peripherals, MCSA and Network Administration.

A special module has also been developed to cater to students with a technical background which grooms B.E. / MCA / M.Sc /B.Sc / Diploma holders to take up a Master’s in Network Administration. You can contact the Jetking office at No. 13, 2nd Floor, Bashyam Circle, Sankey Road (Ph: 23613107, 2361448), Bangalore.

Orientation courses

I am a lecturer of management studies in a private college. All of a sudden the college authorities have asked me to attend the orientation courses that are conducted by the staff colleges. I am totally at sea. Kindly guide me on what to do. There are at least eight other staff members like me.


via e-mail, Tumkur

New lecturers need to attend the orientation courses conducted by the UGC Academic Staff Colleges spread all over the country. The course is for 28 days and topics such as teaching methodology, curriculum development, student-teacher interaction, and human rights are considered for study. You should contact the Director, UGC Academic Staff College (ASC), Bangalore University, Central College, Bangalore and confirm the dates for the course.

If the colleges are not permitting you to attend the refresher courses, you can apply for the one-year Post-Graduate Diploma in Higher Education (PGDHE) offered by the Indira Gandhi Open University (IGNOU) ( which is considered as equivalent to two refresher courses for B.Ed and M.Ed holders and one orientation course for the others. The courses conducted by the ASC do help the teacher in you to understand the nuances of higher education and unlearn/learn the art of teaching. The PGDHE, which has a compulsory Extended Contact Programme (ECP), will help you to unearth your potential as a teacher.

I want to learn Hindi by correspondence or postal study mode as I will be proceeding to north India for purposes of work. Where can pursue a one-year or two-year course in Hindi?


via e-mail

Dakshin Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha is involved in propagating Hindi in the four southern States. Established through an Act of Parliament, the Sabha hast been a declared a University, and conducts B.A, M.A, B.Ed., M.Ed., and a few distance education programmes. You can get in touch with Dilip Singh, Registrar, Dakshin Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha, Thanikachalam Road, T.Nagar, Chennai-600 017. Ph: 044-24332098, 24348420. Email:

In order to learn the language, make efforts to speak in it to your friends and family. You should also watch the Hindi news channels and understand the nuances of the language.


I am pursuing MBBS in Karnataka. I want to pursue studies in neurobiology, on completion of MBBS. Kindly give me the names of institutes offering this course, mode of admission, research opportunities, and the feasibility of the area of study.

A.P. Prasad

via e-mail

Biology encompasses an extremely wide range of fields and specialisations since all life falls under this general category. Neurobiology is the study of the body’s nervous system. Many of the studies in neurobiology focus on the brain, but students also learn how the nervous system affects various functions such as behaviour, states of consciousness and autonomic functions.

The study of neurobiology can also be related to understanding and attempting to cure diseases, particularly those that affect the brain and nervous system. Related fields include: cancer biology, cellular/molecular biology, conservation biology, developmental biology, ecology, evolutionary biology, marine biology, microbiology/immunology, oral biology, structural biology, anatomy, anaesthesiology, biochemistry, bioengineering, bioethics, biomedical sciences, biometrics or biostatistics, chemistry, clinical laboratory sciences, epidemiology, genetics, genetic counselling, health sciences, and human development.

Cancer biology can also provide a good foundation for those interested in becoming doctors or pursue medical research. Some programmes also tend to have a business application such as those in biotechnology or medical informatics.

More information can be had by accessing the International Brain Research Organisation (IBRO) ( that is located in Paris, France. You could contact the Indian Academy of Neurosciences (e-mail:, which happens to be an Academic Member of IBRO.

You can also contact the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS) (,which has contributed in a big way towards the growth and development of the science of medicine.




Recent Article in EDUCATION PLUS

Enjoy your schooling:Participation in activity without reference to outcome is key to learning.Photo: K.R. Deepak

Attitudes to learning

As long as we look for reasons not to learn, education will elude us. »