Breakfast at an eatery in Mirjapuram village proves tragic; 17 persons taken ill
Three persons died and 17 others were taken ill after they consumed breakfast at a roadside eatery here on Tuesday. The group of 20 people from the same village ate poori and curry for breakfast and immediately developed symptoms of nausea, frothing in the mouth and dysentery.
Two of them – Kasinikarla Varalakshmi, 22, and Visanapalli Deepika, 2, shifted to a hospital at Eluru, were declared dead while undergoing treatment.
Six-year-old girl Songa Sravanthi, one out of the 10 persons shifted to Dr. Pinnamaneni Siddhartha Institute of Medical Sciences and Hospital at Chinaoutapalli near Gannavaram, also died. Sravanthi was grand daughter of Nagamani, the eatery owner. Girl's father Jayaraj, 30, was still battling for life in the ICU at Pinnamaneni Hospital.
Others were treated locally at Nuzvid.
Preliminary investigation by the police and revenue officials pointed towards contamination of raw material used for preparing the items in the breakfast.
The eatery owner purchased wheat flour from Public Distribution System shop in the village to prepare poori, and oil from a kirana shop. The tiffin was sold at around 7.30 a.m.
Even while the victims were undergoing treatment, the villagers resorted to rasta roko on the Hanuman Junction-Nuzvid Road blocking traffic for six hours.
Teenagers from the village squatted on the road and raised slogans against the district administration.
The situation turned tense as they went round with large sticks and virtually stopped movement of vehicles.
The Food Inspectors have collected samples from the eatery to check for possible adulteration of raw material. The samples collected would be sent to State Food Laboratory in Hyderabad, the police said.
The police took away the cooked food and oil used for preparation from the eatery to send them to the Forensic Laboratory.