Police say bullet was aimed at motorcycle’s tyre, but itaccidently hit Karan and Punit

A dangerous passion, combined with an alleged act of stone-throwing, a somewhat hurried police action and a gun target gone wrong resulted in the death of a young man and left another injured when they received a bullet supposedly fired to stop them from performing motor cycle stunts near Windsor Place here on Sunday.

The police said the bullet was aimed at the motorcycle’s tyre to deflate it, but it accidently hit the victims, Karan Pandey and Punit Sharma, both 19 and residents of Khirki Extension.

The two were among a group of bikers who pelted a police vehicle with stones when they were asked to stop the stunts.

Describing the events leading to the midnight chase-cum-firing, a senior police officer said that at 2.07 a.m., a call was made to the Police Control Room from a PCR van (Victor-60), stationed near Rajpath, after it spotted a group of 30-35 motorcycles zooming past the roads, their riders performing dangerous stunts.

“The call was channelised to the New Delhi control room and another PCR van (Tiger-22), with an inspector, a gunman and a driver, reached the Windsor Place roundabout where they [the staff] found the motor-cyclists indulging themselves in dangerous acts and asked them to stop,” said the officer.

It is alleged that the bikers ignored the orders and started throwing stones, causing damage to the van and injuries to its occupants.

The policemen then came out of the vehicle and one of them, Rajneesh Parmar, fired three rounds.

Two bullets fired in the air

The first two bullets were fired in the air, and the third was aimed at the tyre of a blue Bajaj Discover being driven by Punit, with Karan on the pillion.

“When the bullet was fired, the bike was in the middle of a stunt, in which the vehicle rests on the rear tyre while the front part is suspended. As a result, it missed its target and hit Karan’s back. The same bullet, exiting his body, entered Punit’s…,” said the officer.

After the firing, the bikers, including Punit, drove towards Ashoka Road. Some distance away, Punit lost balance, and the bike was propped up by the PCR staff, the police said.

3-member board to conduct post-mortem

The duo was rushed to Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, where Karan was declared brought dead, and Punit is undergoing treatment.

Since the death was due to police action, the police would seek a three-member medical board to conduct the post-mortem, the officer said. Punit was reported to be conscious on Sunday evening.

His medical report confirmed that he had consumed alcohol at the time of the incident. Meanwhile, his family rejected the police version and said he was just a passer-by, who was caught amid raging bikers, and had not created any ruckus.

The New Delhi District Police, who have been dealing with increasing incidents of stunts by bikers in various parts of Lutyens’ Zone, especially those close to India Gate, said they were gathering footages from the close-circuit cameras installed near the spot. Some of the footages showed bikers performing dangerous stunts.

A case has been registered at the Parliament Street police station under the Indian Penal Code for obstructing a public servant in discharge of duty and under Section 3 of the Damage to Public Property Act.

Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said that as per National Human Rights Commission guidelines, a magisterial inquiry would be conducted into the matter.

More In: Today's Paper