The controversy over the alleged irregularities and rampant construction of illegal structures in Cantonment limits took a new turn on Wednesday with Secunderabad Cantonment Board (SCB) vice-president J. Pratap resigning from the post.
Mr. Pratap sent his resignation letter to SCB Chief Executive Officer C. Ravindra after five of the eight ward members moved a ‘No Confidence Motion' against him.
Soon after the special Board meeting held earlier in the day, five ward members — S. Keshava Reddy (ward No. 2), J. Anuradha Ramakrishna (ward No. 5), Banuka Narmada (ward No. 6), P. Shyam Kumar (ward No. 7) and V. Jai Prakash (ward No. 8) served the no-confidence letter to Board president Maj. Gen K. Digvijay Singh.
There has been intense activity following the CBI raids and the agency's notices to the ward members asking them to appear for questioning in connection with unauthorised constructions and other irregularities.
“Mr. Pratap failed to ensure smooth functioning of the Board. Hence, we decided on the No Confidence Motion,” said Mr. Jai Prakash. “He has been the VP for several years and most irregularities happened during his tenure. It is high time we elected a new VP,” said Ms. Anuradha.
However, Mr. Pratap claimed that he resigned for having failed to solve the long pending civic problems of ensuring adequate drinking water, sewerage, health facilities and so on.
“The SCB lacks sufficient trained staff and the basic amenities have gone for a toss. I failed to live up to the residents' expectations,” he admitted. His detractors urged the Board president to convene a special meeting to elect a new VP.