Basavaraj Horatti terms KUSMA's statement `misleading and false'
BANGALORE: The State Cabinet on Thursday decided to constitute a Cabinet sub-committee to decide the fate of 2,215 schools that had violated the language policy by switching over to English-medium though they had been permitted to teach only in Kannada and other languages.
Briefing presspersons here, Primary and Secondary Education Minister Basavaraj Horatti said the committee had been given a deadline of one month to come out with a decision on what should be done with these schools and students from the next academic year.
The Minister said though the Government had declared that it would derecognise such erring schools, it allowed the students of such institutions schools to write examinations in English this academic year. But such a measure was only for this academic year. The sub-committee would take a decision on the action to be taken against such schools.
He said these schools had obtained permission only to teach in Kannada, Urdu, Telugu and Malayalam. The committee was likely to be chaired by either Home Minister M.P. Prakash or medical Education Minister V.S. Acharya, he added.
Meanwhile, the Karnataka Unaided Schools Managements' Association (KUSMA) has claimed that "unauthorised" schools can continue to function in the next academic year even in the absence of recognition as they are registered institutions.
However, the Minister took exception to such a statement and termed it "misleading and false".
The Cabinet approved the recommendation by a sub-committee to increase the intake in some medical and dental colleges, besides granting new courses to them.
It decided to provide an option of studying Konkani as third language from sixth standard to students of Dakshina Kannada, Udupi and Uttara Kannada districts.
It decided to provide grant-in-aid to 27 private polytechnic colleges with retrospective effect from the date of their commencement. The Cabinet decided to maintain status quo on school development monitoring committees.