Haroon Habib

DHAKA: Bangladesh denied on Wednesday Indian media reports that one of the key suspects of the recent Hyderabad blasts had been arrested in the country.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has also expressed its dissatisfaction over reports linking Bangladesh nationals to the August 25 blasts.

“Bangladesh has yet to receive any request for information in connection with the Hyderabad blasts and there have been no arrests in Bangladesh in this connection,” said a Ministry release.

Acting Foreign Secretary Touhid Hossain told The Daily Star newspaper, quoting the Home Ministry’s report, that “no one by the name (Mohammad Sharifuddin) has been arrested here.”

The press release, referring to the media reports, alleged that the Indian media were trying to portray Bangladesh as ‘a hotbed of terrorism’ and said ‘such reports were disturbing and clearly motivated.’

It said the Bangladesh position on terrorism is unequivocal as the country abhors it in all its forms and manifestation. Dhaka is committed to cooperating with the international community in combating terrorism.

Bangladesh and India recently held “a very successful meeting at the Home Secretary level where the two countries have agreed to share information on security matters,” the release said.

More In: Today's Paper