Arrests by Maharashtra police in Madhya Pradesh goes up

Charge sheet to be filed against ex-servicemen

Sadhvi said to have been in constant touch with one of them

Bhopal/MUMBAI: The Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) of the Maharashtra police has picked up a person from here for his suspected involvement in the Malegaon blasts and taken him to Mumbai, sources said on Sunday.

However, senior police officials including Inspector General (IG), Special Task Force (STF), Sanjeev Singh denied having any information in this regard but confirmed that the ATS team is in the State for taking into custody suspects.

The team had earlier arrested three persons and detained one in the State for their suspected role in Malegaon and Modasa blasts. It arrived a few days back and conducted raids at several places including Bhopal, Indore, Dewas, Jabalpur and Gwalior in search of the suspected persons, the sources said.

Terming as “serious,” the involvement of Hindu organisations in the blasts, Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said in Mumbai that the State would have to be careful.

He, however, said it was too early to come to a definite conclusion on the issue of involvement of Hindu outfits, since the investigation by the ATS was not yet complete.

Mr. Deshmukh declined to say whether there would be more arrests in connection with the blasts, saying it was up to the ATS to go into details.

To a question if Hindu organisations were involved in the terror attacks, he said “every time something happens the minorities felt they have been targeted.”

The ATS had so far arrested three persons, including Sindhi Pragya Singh Thakur in connection with the September 29 blasts in Malegaon which killed six and injured 89.

The ATS is all set to file charge sheets against three Pune-based ex-army officers it is interrogating. They allegedly trained those involved in the Malegaon blasts, officials said.

ATS special counsel Ajay Misar was on Sunday ready in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate K.D. Boche “with papers” pertaining to Major Prabhakar Kulkarni (retired), who was the commandant of the Bhosala Military School. But Mr. Misar was told to file the charge sheet on Monday, they added.

The other two former servicemen, Major Y.D. Sahasrabuddhe and Major Ramesh Upadhyay whom ATS sleuths are grilling along with Maj. Kulkarni, also taught at the Bhosala school and later assisted the former commandant in providing training in making and exploding bombs using RDX, the officials said.

After serving the military school as commandant, Maj. Kulkarni also worked as the secretary of the Hindu Sainiki Sanstha that runs it, it was revealed.

While ATS officers were tight-lipped about the status of investigations and further steps, a source close to them said it was decided to file a charge sheet against all three ex-servicemen after gathering more information.

Sadhvi Pragya, against whom the ATS has already filed a charge sheet along with her two accomplices Shivnarayan Singh and Shyam Bhavarlal Sahu for their involvement in the Malegaon blasts, was said to have been in constant touch with Maj. Kulkarni.

A former national executive member of Bharatiya Janata Party students’ wing Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarth Parishad (ABVP), Sadhvi Pragya was said to be associated with the Hindu Jagaran Manch and known in Indore, Bhopal and Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh and Surat in Gujarat as a fire-brand, saffron-clad preacher. — PTI/IANS

More In: Today's Paper