Seven shops selling puja items were completely gutted in a fire that broke out in the basement of the K.R. Market building here late Monday. The fire was spotted around 11 p.m. and 11 fire tenders were busy dousing it well past midnight.

What fed the blaze was the highly inflammable nature of some puja items such as camphor, agarbathis, wicks and the like. Fire personnel were not sure about the source but suggested it could be a carelessly flung lit beedi or cigarette. No casualties were reported.

More In: Today's Paper