Hours after a series of bomb blasts rocked the Dilsukhnagar in Hyderabad on Thursday evening, police sources in Delhi claimed that two suspected members of a terror outfit who were arrested by the Delhi Police Special Cell last year had spoken of conducting a “recce” of the area in July 2012.
The claim is likely to raise questions about what the Delhi Police did with this information, and whether their counterparts in Hyderabad were alerted about the possibility that terrorists might target Dilsukhnagar.
According to Delhi Police sources, the two suspected members of the ‘Indian Mujahideen’ who were arrested from Hyderabad in October 2012 told interrogators that they had conducted reconnaissance of different parts of Hyderabad in July. “They disclosed that they had carried out a survey at Dilsukhnagar and Begum Bazar in Hyderabad on a motorcycle to identify places that could be targeted.”
The Special Cell said it cracked their module following purported revelations by Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal, an alleged handler of the 26/11 Mumbai attack.
With police claims about Islamist groups being behind various bomb blasts in Hyderabad eventually turning out to be incorrect, police officers in the city have been guarded about speculating on the record about who might be responsible for Thursday's bombings.