A girl student working out in a gym died while four others, including the gym manager, suffered injuries as they jumped from a building housing the gym in Sindhi Colony in Secunderabad after a fire broke out on Thursday. The victims jumped from the third floor of the building after fire started at around 4.15 p.m., police said.

Richa was sweating out when smoke emanated from a corner of the gym. Gym manager Safina, three others were also present. Panicked by the spiralling smoke, all of them leapt out of the gym located on the top floor of the three-storeyed Prime Arcade at Bapu Bagh Colony area. “After seeing the blaze spreading, the young woman got scared and jumped from the third floor and died. Four others also jumped,” a senior police officer said.

Death was instant for Richa, who suffered fractures on head. A commerce graduate from Rasoolpura, Richa was a regular at the gym. Safina, Sneha, Omar and Apoorva suffered fractures and were rushed to the near-by Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences. “They are being treated and out of danger,” Ramgopalpet Inspector Ganga Reddy said. The commercial building at the bustling Sindhi Colony also housed a vehicle glass film and seat covers godown, a coffee house and a courier agency office. Police are yet to ascertain where and how the fire started as eyewitnesses gave divergent versions. “We were told that a short-circuit in one of the air-conditioners triggered sparks and led to the fire,” a police official said.

Another photo on Page 3

Young Richa was sweating out at the time of mishap; police clueless on cause of the fire

More In: Today's Paper