“No reason to hold that authorities violated court order on advertisements”
The Madras High Court on Thursday held that the official authorities have not violated its order with regard to the recently concluded ‘Chennai Sangamam,' a cultural festival.
In its order on a contempt petition against the Tourism Secretary and the Chairman of the Tamil Nadu Tourism Development Corporation (TTDC), the First Bench comprising Chief Justice M.Y. Eqbal and Justice T.S. Sivagnanam said that after considering the petitioner and respondents' affidavits and the copies of the advertisements and other material, it did not find any reason to hold that the authorities had violated or disobeyed the court order of January 7 this year.
On January 7, the Bench had ordered that as undertaken by the Tourism Secretary, no advertisement issued by the government for popularising the festival would carry the name of ‘Tamil Maiyam.'
In his contempt petition, P. Pugalenthi, said the authorities had wilfully disobeyed the court direction.
Tourism Secretary S.S. Jawahar, who was also the TTDC Chairman, categorically denied the allegation.
He said none of the advertisements produced by the petitioner before the court had been released by the TTDC.
After hearing the petitioner's counsel M. Radhakrishnan and Additional Advocate-General P. Wilson, the Bench said that from the detailed facts disclosed by the authorities in the counter affidavit and after having applied its mind, it was of the definite view that there was no violation or disobedience, much less, wilful and deliberate disobedience of the court order on the writ petition filed by Mr. Pugalenthi.
Hence, it did not think it fit to initiate contempt proceedings against the respondents.
The court treated the contempt petition as closed. Consequently, it also closed a sub-application seeking a direction to the government to initiate appropriate criminal proceedings against ‘Tamil Maiyam.'
The petitioner had alleged that the organisation had “misused the name of Chennai Sangamam 2011.”