A six-year-old boy died of severe burns sustained in a firecracker blast during Deepavali celebrations late on Tuesday.

The Anaimalai police said R. Kanishkumar of Chinnappampalayam, a class one student, was bursting crackers outside his house on Tuesday evening.

Holding a burning sparkler, he went into the house to get more crackers from a box.

Fire from the sparkler caused the crackers to burst, injuring the boy seriously.

Though Kanishkumar was rushed to a private hospital in the city, doctors could not save him. His brother R. Manojkumar (13), a class eight student, and his grandfather, Nataraj, also suffered burns and were admitted to the Pollachi Government Hospital.

The police said the child's father N. Ravindran (46), was in the shop, attached to the house, while their mother was inside the house.

The police have registered a case.

Incident-free

Barring this incident, Deepavali was incident-free in the region.

Fire and Rescue Services personnel were, however, in a state of preparedness following instructions of Divisional Fire Officer N. Subramanian, Station Fire Officer, Coimbatore South, P. Annadurai said.

More In: Today's Paper