Action taken against BSF jawan accused of killing youth: Chidambaram
SRINAGAR: Maintaining that the government was committed to a zero-tolerance policy on human rights violation, Home Minister P. Chidambaram on Wednesday said he had delivered on the promise. He was referring to the identification of a BSF jawan responsible for killing Nishat, a Srinagar youth, on February 5.
After chairing the Unified Headquarters meeting, Mr. Chidambaram said that after Chief Minister Omar Abdullah brought the matter to his notice, he promised to identify the accused within 48 hours. He kept his promise. “The accused BSF personnel was suspended and handed over to the State police. The commandant has also been suspended. It is now up to the investigating agency to find out who is responsible,” he added.
Mr. Abdullah said the investigation was going on and, when required, the commandant would be also questioned.
“There is no hold-up or roadblock in the matter,” he said, responding to a comment that the Ministry was creating obstacles to handing over the suspended BSF commandant. “So far, we have not made any request to the MHA [Ministry of Home] to hand him over.”
During the two-hour Unified Headquarters meeting and the subsequent meeting with administrative Secretaries of the State government, issues relating to security, construction of tenements, creation of jobs, vacating the buildings by security forces, etc., came up for discussion, the Minister said. “There has undoubtedly been progress on these matters.”