Staff Reporter

Encounter with police in Y. Ramavaram mandal of East Godavari district

RAMPACHODAVARAM: Three suspected CPI (Maoist) naxalites believed to be members of the Andhra-Orissa Border Committee were killed in an alleged encounter with the police between Tangana Kota and Singana Kota hamlets of interior Patakota in Y. Ramavaram mandal on Tuesday, 110 km from Rajahmundry.

One of the victims was suspected to be Srikakulam Division Committee member Chandu. The identity of two others was yet to be established. The police recovered one Self-Loading Rifle (SLR), 303 pistol and carbine from scene of the encounter.

East Godavari SP B. Srinivasulu said that police parties, including Greyhounds personnel from Visakhapatnam, East Godavari and Khammam districts, had been combing the thick forest areas of Y. Ramavaram, Addateegala and Sileru in Visakhapantam district for the last two days. The police parties came across naxalites near a small stream and challenged them to surrender. The Maoists opened fire forcing the police to retaliate resulting in the death of three.

Visakhapatnam Special Correspondent adds: Incidentally this is the second encounter near Thanganakota. During a joint operation by the Visakhapantam and East Godavari police in 2003, a deputy commander of Maoist party Rajesh was killed in an encounter.

Tuesday's encounter in East Godavari was a result of stepped-up combing operations to track down top leaders of the banned outfit. It was believed that chief of Maoist AOB Military Commission Chalapathi and in-charge of action teams Bhupati were reportedly moving in the agency areas bordering Visakhapatnam and East Godavari district as well as the AP-Orissa border.

Thanks to the presence of these leaders, there was increased activity of the naxalites in the area. The naxal leaders reportedly planned the recent sneak attack on CRPF constables at Sileru shandy last month, in which one constable died and also the gunning down of Motu SI in Orissa on the AP-Orissa border on June 3. The Maoists also lost two women cadres in an encounter at Tekuguda in Orissa, days after the Sileru incident.

More In: Today's Paper