Staff Reporter

KOCHI. As the tanker-lorry stir on the issue of speed governors entered the third day on Saturday, 30 tanker lorries were seized from different parts of Ernakulam district to ensure normal supply of fuel and other commodities.

District Collector A.P.M. Mohammed Hanish said the seized lorries had been parked in the Collectorate. "We will ensure that fuel supply lines are restored as early as possible. Criminal action will be taken against the striking owners," he said.

The car in which Ernakulam RTO M.N. Prabhakaran was travelling was attacked near Angamaly on Saturday evening. Striking lorry owners blocked the car. Senior police officials have rushed to the spot, Angamaly police said.

General secretary of the Kerala State Tanker Lorry Owners' Federation Jacob Mani said the owners had agreed to surrender their lorries on Monday. The vehicles would be taken in a convoy. The authorities concerned are not issuing receipts for lorries seized and so we opposed them, he said.

Bus owners' decision

Khalid Mundapilly, president of Kerala State Private Bus Owners' Federation, said bus owners would meet the Chief Minister and the Transport Minister on Monday. A decision on whether to join the strike would be taken after the meeting, he said. Goods lorry owners may also join the strike, he said.

T.Gopinathan, an office-bearer of All Kerala Bus Operators Organisation, said a meeting was held on the speed governor issue on Saturday. The date to join the strike will be decided on Monday, he said.

A senior official in the Motor Vehicles Department said speed governors do not in any way affect the performance of vehicles.

"It is an electronic equipment with sensor, which cuts off fuel supply only when the vehicle exceeds 60 km/hr. It does not affect the vehicle's performance till it crosses that speed."

More In: Today's Paper