Sumit Bhattacharjee

VISAKHAPATNAM: An efficient public transport system is the solution for traffic woes. This concept has been discussed, tested and implemented successfully in many countries like Singapore, Japan, Malaysia and China. The authorities here seem to have taken a cue from their success.

The Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation has plans to induct 41 new buses this year to augment its existing fleet of 917 buses.

RTC Regional Manager N. Venkateswara Rao has said out of the 41 new buses, 26 will be added to the city service and the remaining 15 will be allocated to the rural service.

Giving a glimpse of its operations, the Regional Manager said, “In total, we cover a distance of 3.03 lakh km on a daily basis, transporting on an average 6.75 lakh commuters per day.” On an average the corporation makes about Rs. 48.5 lakhs a day.

BRTS project

APSRTC has entered into a joint venture with the Greater Visakha Municipal Corporation and the Visakhapatnam Urban Development Authority to operate the bus rapid transport system (BRTS).

The corporation’s share will be 51 per cent and the remaining 49 per cent will be shared between the other two entities.

While APSRTC will take care of the operation of the BRTS, the GVMC and VUDA are supposed to facilitate the construction of the corridors.

More In: Today's Paper