All about Chidambaram Stadium
By Mohandas Menon
CHENNAI, JAN. 24. Cricket has been played at Chepauk since 1865. The present Madras Cricket Club (MCC) Pavilion was built in 1892. The famous Madras Presidency matches - between local Indians and Europeans - began at this ground in 1915-16.
Douglas Jardine's England played the first ever Test at this venue in February 1934. The home team won its first ever Test at this venue in February 1952 when it beat Nigel Howard's England by an innings and 8 runs in the fifth and final Test of the series.
The present MA Chidamabaram Stadium, named after the former BCCI President, was built at a cost of Rs 2 crores in 1965 when the Tamil Nadu (then Madras) Cricket Association became lessees of the ground. The venue has the distinction of hosting the second ever tied Test, in September 1986. In all 25 Tests have been played here.
The opening match of the 1987 World Cup - between India and Australia - was the first limited-overs International (LOI) to be played here. During the 1996 World Cup floodlights were installed. So far seven LOIs have been played here, which includes three World Cup matches.
India has played three matches here and has won its only match - against the West Indies in October 1994. England is yet to play an LOI here.
Highest team scores: 327 for five (50 overs), Pakistan v India, 21-5-1997; 292 (49.2), India v Pakistan, 21-5-1997.
Lowest team score: 139 (50), Zimbabwe v Australia, 13-10-1987.
Highest individual scores: 194, Saeed Anwar, Pakistan v India, 21-5-1997 (World record). In all five hundreds have been scored at this venue.
Highest for India: 107, Rahul Dravid, India v Pakistan, 21-5-1997.
Best bowling: 5-61, Aaqib Javed, Pakistan v India, 21-5-1997.
Best for India: 3-36, Sachin Tendulkar, India v West Indies, 23-10-1994.
Send this article to Friends by