Soccer hooligans will not be able to come to South Africa during the world cup next year, Home Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma said on Tuesday.

She said an advance passenger processing system was in place to bar such people from entering South Africa. “The Advanced Passenger Processing (APP) system allows us to bar undesirable elements from entering South Africa before boarding from various countries,” she said.

The department would work closely with Interpol, international travel agencies and FIFA to monitor for the possible entry of soccer hooligans.

Ms. Dlamini-Zuma said the system went into operation on November 23 and that 79 percent of all airlines flying to South Africa had signed up.

Of 31 airlines, 18 had provided roll out plans. Of these, four had completed testing and been certified as compliant.

“The department of home affairs continues to work with the department of transport and the airline associations to accelerate the process,” she said.

Ms. Dlamini-Zuma said the department was proud to have been part of the successful planning and execution of the 2010 World Cup draw held in Cape Town last week.

“The 2010 World Cup draw served as both as a reaffirmation of South Africa’s readiness to host the 2010 World Cup and a celebration of the 32 teams that will participate in the FIFA 2010 World Cup. We can say without fear of contradiction that we are indeed ready to host the 2010 World Cup.”

More In: Sport