At least four of Australia’s biggest event firms plan to slap a multi-million-dollar lawsuit against Commonwealth Games organisers in New Delhi for the recovery of their dues.
Events organiser Ric Birch has commissioned law firm Slater and Gordon to draw up the multi-million dollar lawsuit that would involve at least four of Australia’s biggest event firms — including his firm Spectak Productions and fireworks group Howard & Sons — against the Delhi Games organisers, The Australian newspaper reported.
Mr. Birch, who was the mastermind behind the successful opening and closing ceremonies of the mega-event, which took place from October 3 to 14 last year, said that his employers have still not paid their bill.
“I supplied the services of 12 people over the course of the year leading up to the Games, which included choreographers, producers and myself as executive producer,” ABC.net.au quoted him as saying.
“They’re all production people who were intimately involved in the creation, production and direction of the opening and closing ceremonies.”
Rudd raises the issue with Krishna
The issue also figured prominently during External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna’s bilateral meeting with his Australian counterpart Kevin Rudd, giving the visiting Indian leader some embarrassing moments.
Mr. Rudd raised the issue of non-payment of dues to Australian companies for Commonwealth Games-related work with Mr. Krishna, who is here on a three-day visit.
Mr. Krishna assured the Australian government that he would take up the matter of non-payment of dues back home with the Ministry of Sports.
“It has been brought to my notice and I would go back to India and take it up with the Ministry of Sports,” Mr. Krishna told a joint press conference after the meeting.
Mr. Krishna could not give a time frame on how soon the matter would be resolved, but said it will be dealt with as soon as possible after his return to India.
Keywords: Commonwealth Games