McLaren driver Sergio Perez on Wednesday said it’s a “shame” that Indian Grand Prix would not be part of the Formula One calendar next year and hoped the event makes a return to the F1 roster in 2015.
“It’s a shame, we are not having a race for the next year. Hopefully, we return later on. The market is growing, when we come here every year, the interest is getting better. It’s slowly coming up in India and hopefully we can come back here. It’s a race we can keep it for 2015 and beyond that,” Perez told PTI here.
F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone, in a reshuffle of the 2014 calendar, chucked out Indian GP which is expected to be part of the 2015 season in the first half.
Ecclestone, the octogenarian F1 Czar, had cited political problems, a veiled reference to tax issues in the country, for dropping the Indian race.
Organisers Jaypee Sports International (JPSI) had preferred a slot in October 2014 but eventually agreed for the change.
McLaren are without a win or even a podium this year and are heading towards finishing their first season in 33 years since 1980 without a podium.
Perez has been under immense pressure to lift his performances in recent races after Mexican’s below par showing in the 13 races so far this season, including a high-speed accident during Friday’s practice session in the Japanese Grand Prix and then a crash with Nico Rosberg in the race.