Indian Badminton League on Monday asked IBL franchisee Awadhe Warriors to find a replacement for Thai shuttler Maneepong Jongjit who has been put under investigation by world federation for an on-court brawl with a fellow shuttler in an international tournament last week.

The Thai doubles specialist who is currently ranked world number 13 in men’s doubles, has also been handed a three-month international ban by Badminton Association of Thailand for provocation and misconduct with a fellow player, former doubles partner Bodin Issara, during the recent Canada Open.

Bodin chased and attacked Maneepong during a singles match of Canada Open in Richmond resulting to a brawl. Bodin lost his temper after Maneepong had hit him on the head with his racquet at the change of ends.

The IBL Governing Council discussed the matter in a telephonic meeting today and took an unanimous decision to respect the views of the BAT.

Accordingly, the IBL has asked Awadhe Warriors to seek a foreign replacement for Jongjit in their remaining budget and get back to the organisers in the next 48 hours, a release said.

Commenting on this issue, Badminton Association of India President Akhilesh Das Gupta said, “The Badminton Association of Thailand has taken disciplinary action against the concerned player and we need to respect their decision in this case.”

“Therefore, the concerned player’s participation in the inaugural edition of IBL cannot be accepted and we have advised our respectable franchisee Awadhe Warriors to pick up a foreign player of their own choice from the auction reserve list,” he said.

The USD 1 million IBL will feature six franchises and will run for 18 days from August 14.

More In: Other Sports | Sport