Top bosses of the Canadian contingent on Saturday partially dispelled doubts about their athletes' participation in the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony, scheduled here on Sunday.
While presenting the flag-bearer, Ken Pereira at a press conference, the Canadians clarified about their reported concerns regarding the opening ceremony. “Our biggest concern was that our athletes get a good place to rest and some refreshments (during the opening ceremony),” said Scott Stevenson, Director of Sports for Commonwealth Games Canada.
Canada, fielding 260 athletes in the mega event, wanted some of their athletes to come back to the Games Village after the march-past and desired that the security personnel allow them to leave the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
Mr. Stevenson expressed satisfaction with the progress on this front and assured that so far the Canadian athletes were set to take part in the opening ceremony.
Both Mr. Stevenson and Canada's Chef de Mission Martha Deacon appreciated the Games Village, the security arrangements and medical facilities available for the Games.
Pereira, the hockey captain, was overwhelmed at being bestowed the honour of being the flag-bearer. “My parents were born here (in India). So, it makes it all the more special for me,” he said.
On the on-field competition, Pereira, who had led his team in the hockey World Cup here in March this year, said he always relished watching the Indian team in action.
“In the World Cup, the India-Pakistan game was unbelievable.
“They (India) have great support here. I am looking forward to watching some of India's games,” he said.
Keywords: Commonwealth Games 2010