SEARCH

» Sport » Motorsport

Updated: November 23, 2009 15:33 IST

Brawn rules out Schumacher return with Mercedes

DPA
print   ·   T  T  
Michael Schumacher
AP Michael Schumacher

Brawn GP boss Ross Brawn has rejected speculation that seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher could make a sensational Formula One comeback next season.

German media had raised the possibility of Schumacher driving next season for the new Mercedes GP team, which has taken over the Brawn team.

But Brawn, who will be the team principal at Mercedes GP, told Bild newspaper’s online edition the media was “putting its own dream together.” Brawn, who worked for many years alongside Schumacher at Ferrari, said the 40-year-old German was not interested in resuming his driving career.

The speculation was fuelled by a meeting Schumacher between Brawn, Daimler chief executive officer Dieter Zetsche and Mercedes motorsport director Norbert Haug at the final Formula One race of 2009 in Abu Dhabi.

Mercedes had last week announced that they were taking over the majority shares in Brawn, which won both the constructors’ championship, as well as the drivers’ championship last season.

Schumacher, who is turning 41 on January 3, is said to have been offered a new contract by Ferrari, for whom he has been acting as consultant since retiring from the sport in 2006.

RELATED NEWS

Manager: Schumacher met Mercedes bossesNovember 23, 2009

More In: Motorsport | Sport
The Hindu presents the all-new Young World

O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in Motorsport

Gaurav Gill (left) and Amittrajit Ghosh show some camaraderie on the eve
of the Rally of Coimbatore. Photo: M. Periasamy

Gill and Ghosh ready for the big fight

Gaurav Gill (co-driver Musa Sherif) and defending National champion Amittrajit Ghosh (Ashwin Naik) will be keen to battle it out to the... »