Sport » Football

Updated: January 25, 2010 15:31 IST

Stoke stun Arsenal; City see off Scunthorpe challenge

print   ·   T  T  
In this April 16, 2009 photo, Robinho goes past Hamburg's David Jarolim in a UEFA cup game.
AP In this April 16, 2009 photo, Robinho goes past Hamburg's David Jarolim in a UEFA cup game.

Two late goals gave Stoke City a 3-1 win to dump Arsenal out of the FA Cup on Sunday, while Manchester City saw off a spirited challenge from Scunthorpe to move into the fifth round with a 4-2 win at Glanford Park.

Premier League title-chasing Arsenal became the latest victims of the traditional FA Cup upset, as they followed Manchester United and Liverpool out of this year’s competition.

Arsenal began the afternoon hoping to join favourites and holders Chelsea, who defeated Preston on Saturday, in the next round but suffered the worst possible start just one minute into the match.

With just 70 seconds gone, a long throw from Rory Delap caused havoc in the away defence and striker Ricardo Fuller was able to beat goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski from close range.

The visitors fortuitously pulled themselves level just before half-time however, as Brazilian midfielder Denilson’s low shot deflected past Thomas Sorensen in the Stoke goal.

Arsenal were the better side for most of the second period, but were made to pay for their profligacy in front of goal 12 minutes from time as Fuller grabbed his second. The striker fended off Sol Campbell, on his return for Arsenal, to head Mamady Sidibe’s excellent cross past Fabianski.

And with just four minutes remaining on the clock, Dean Whitehead’s close finish sealed the game for the home side from Matthew Etherington’s inviting cross.

Robinho sparkles

At Glanford Park, visitors Manchester City also got off to a superb start in their match at struggling Championship side Scunthorpe United.

Good work from Brazilian striker Robinho in the third minute found teammate Martin Petrov, who opened the scoring with a powerful left-footed shot.

The home side made it clear that they were intent on putting up a fight against their illustrious opponents, and albeit with a large slice of luck, it was the hosts that equalised on the half hour.

When City failed to properly clear a corner, the ball was played back into Scunthorpe’s Paul Hayes, who should have been given offside. Instead the striker was allowed to power in a shot to give the home side an equaliser.

City were able to go into the break in the lead however, as Nedum Onuoha latched onto Stephen Ireland’s pass to make it 2-1 in the final seconds of the half, before defender Sylvinho made it 3-1 with a superb 30 metre strike early in the second half.

With the Brazilian’s goal, the visitors appeared to be coasting to victory but with 20 minutes remaining, a large deflection off Dedryck Boyata from Cliff Byrne’s shot gave Scunthorpe hope of a fightback.

But on 84 minutes, Robinho made it 4-2 when, in a neat reversal of the first goal, Petrov turned supplier.

More In: Football | Sport






Recent Article in Football

Indian Women Football team poses for a group photo before leaving for Asian Games. File photo

Thailand test awaits Indian women in Asian Games football

Bruised and battered by South Korea in their last match, Indian women’s football team will have to regroup themselves quickly before the... »