Terming the lifting of the All India Football Federation’s (AIFF) ban as a big success, Mohun Bagan finance secretary Debashis Dutta said that the club officials would not resign despite facing criticism for the “inept” handling of the I-League derby against East Bengal held on December 9, last year.

There were speculations that the top officials might step down, but Mr. Dutta categorically said, “Have we done anything unethical that we would resign?” In fact, he said it was big victory for the foursome of club president Swapan Sadhan Bose, secretary Anjan Mitra, assistant secretary Srinjoy Bose and himself, as they put their point across to the AIFF.

Mr. Dutta said: “It’s a big success for the club since we were able to revoke the ban. We four had tried our best to resolve the crisis. It’s a big victory for us. Our primary aim was to bring football back to the players. We have been successful in that. We will discuss our next step later.”

In a press release, Mohun Bagan’s top officials also thanked the supporters for standing by the club.

However, amid speculations that the top Mohun Bagan officials would step down tomorrow, executive committee member Atin Ghosh said he would put in his papers tomorrow.

Mohun Bagan were a goal down against bitter foes East Bengal when a stone hurled from one of the stands - apparently aimed at the referee – hit midfielder Syed Rahim Nabi of Mohun Bagan and prompting the players to refuse to take the field, leading to a two-year ban.

But moved by the mass appeal, the AIFF today revoked the ban while imposing a fine of Rs. 2 crore.

More In: Football | Sport