Sport » Football

Updated: December 3, 2009 14:29 IST

Man City, Blackburn reach League Cup semis

print   ·   T  T  
Shaun Wright-Phillips
Shaun Wright-Phillips

Manchester City scored three second-half goals for a 3-0 win over Arsenal and a meeting with defending champion Manchester United in the League Cup semifinals.

City is on a streak of seven draws in the Premier League but advanced to its first semifinal since 1981 with a second win over Arsenal this season.

Blackburn will meet Aston Villa in the other two-legged semifinal after beating Chelsea 4-3 in a shootout after a 3-3 extra-time draw in Wednesday’s other quarterfinal.

Carlos Tevez put City ahead five minutes into the second half, stealing possession from Tomas Rosicky to carry the ball into the area and hit a right-footed shot in off the crossbar.

Shaun Wright-Phillips counterattacked from halfway in the 69th minute and scored with a fierce shot into the far top corner, and substitute Vladimir Weiss rounded off the scoring in the final minute.

“That gives us the belief to now play our way,” Manchester City defender Kolo Toure said. “It was really important to get back to winning because we had seven draws.”

City’s expensively assembled squad could now be just three matches away from winning the club’s first trophy since the 1976 League Cup.

Wright-Phillips limped off midway through the second half with a calf injury but said after the game he expected to be fit to face Chelsea in the Premier League on Saturday.

Gael Kakuta missed the decisive penalty for Chelsea after Paulo Ferreira had rescued a 3-3 draw for the Blues with a goal in the last minute of extra time. The 18-year-old Kakuta needed to score to keep Chelsea in the shootout but goalkeeper Paul Robinson saved his kick down the middle.

The teams had drawn 2-2 through 90 minutes as Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou scored for Chelsea and Nikola Kalinic and Brett Emerton scored for Blackburn.

South Africa striker Benni McCarthy then had an injury-time winner ruled out because of offside before hitting a 93rd-minute penalty to put Blackburn into what had looked like a decisive lead until Ferreira scored.

The two-legged semifinals are scheduled for the weeks commencing on January 4 and January 18, with the final at Wembley on February 28.

More In: Football | Sport

Indian Super League - 2014

More Indian Super League - 2014 »






Recent Article in Football

I-League: Hat-trick by Haokip

Thongkhosiem Haokip scored a hat-trick as Pune FC drubbed Shillong Lajong 5-2 in an I-League match here at the Balewadi Sports Complex S... »